Sunday, September 21, 2008

Mike's 101

I really can't believe that my family talked me into doing this, but I really have enjoyed reading those that have been posted.



1. I was born in 1958 in Greybull Wyoming. Yes I am older than dirt



2. My brother Jerry and I were born in the same hospital, but on the birth certificates it says that I was born in Greybull and Jerry in Basin. Figure that one out.



3. I got my first job when I was 5 years old. Mowing the Michaelson sisters lawn. It would take me all day. ( I think they have laws against that now)



4. We would steal crab apples from the neighbors trees and eat until we were sick. (The neighbors would stand in their windows and laugh at us. We thought we were so sneeky.)



5. My favorite vehicle was my 1960 Chevy Shortbed pickup I had in high school.

6. I grew up in the era of embroidered Levis. ( If you don't know what that is you did not go to high school in the 70's).

7. I loved to raid gardens by doing belly crawls for hundreds of yards so as not to be seen.

8. When I was a boy we played over the line baseball, night tag and no bears are out tonight.

9. From the time I was about 6 years old I spent hours and hours alone exploring up swift creek canyon. I would hike the creek fishing. I think there are laws now about 6 year olds doing stuff like that by themselves.

10. My greatest regret: Selling my 1956 chevy sedan for $25.

11. We had neighborhood sleepovers with the Stocks family and others. There would be rows of sleeping bags in the back yard.

12. Greatest trauma of my young life: I once shot a swallow with my BB gun. Yes I was aiming at it, but didn't mean to kill it.

13. We had a neighbor that was a highway patrolman and he would take me on patrol with him. I blame him and my Uncle Bud for my interest in police work.

14. Because of my father I knew what a republican was before I could walk.

15. My father died on my 16th birthday.

16. Sunday afternoons were spent playing football with the neighbors on Dr. Perkes' big lawn.

17. When I was very young I remember listening to Petula Clark, Homer and Jethro and Don Ho. (Now you are starting to understand why I am the way I am.)

18. I have lived in Greybull, Basin, Afton, Bolivia, Provo, Bountiful, Fairview, the Grosventre wilderness area and Etna.

19. I played Football, Basketball and ran track in High School.

20. My coach in football said that pound for pound I was the meanest player he had ever coached.

21. I was a huge disappointment to my mother. She said I was to be her concert pianist and all I wanted to do was shoot a basketball.

22. From my earliest memories the guys always duck hunted on Thanksgiving morning. We still try and do that as often as possible.

23. I play the piano, organ, accordian and played the tuba in high school.

24. My kids love to have me play the accordian while they dance the polka in the living room.

25. For Jodie - it is pronounced crik not creek.

26. It is also Bat-trees, not batteries.

27. Also it is somewheres not somewhere.

28. Yes, I am a redneck. I love to compete with myself in how long it takes to drive somewhere. "Yep, we made it in 3 hours and 58 minutes. That has to be a new record."

29. I hate the Today Show.

30. Katie Couric has to be the worst news anchor in the history of broadcast journalism.

31. In my opinion - Michael Moore, Michael Jackson and Kobe Bryant should all be deported.

32. FOX NEWS - cnn is a plague.

33. Trout should be eaten with pancakes.

34. I attended BYU - But I HATE BYU football. Go UTES.

35. I do not trust anyone with a personalized license plate.

36. I am fiercely loyal. Vandi thinks I should have been a german shephard dog.

37. I like Christmas more than I let on.

38. I like most things more than I let on.

39. Fried chicken gizzards are a delicasy.

40. My favorite color is black.

41. I hate watermelon and popsicles.

42. My favorite saying: If you're gonna be dumb - ya better be tough.

43. I use the term "idiot" to describe far too many people. I am trying to be nicer, but it seemed to fit at the time.

44. Vandi is the most wonderful, caring person I have ever met. If you think I am a mess now, could you imagine what I would be like without her in my life.

45. Vandi and I dated for 3 whole weeks before we got engaged.

46. We were so poor when we first got married that we lived in a tent for 3 months.

47. Actually I was an elk hunting guide and she wrangled horses for me. She was pregnant at the time.

48. My children are wonderful parents.

49. Vandi edited this one out.

50. I almost deaf, but I have a great sense of smell.

51. I am very much a Nomad at heart. I get real nervous if I have been somewhere very long. (ie. in a home, area, job etc.)

52. I enjoy researching places to visit, vacation or live.

53. I love my girls ( that means you too Jodie) because: 1. They love each other. 2. They have each developed some of Vandi's characteristics. 3. The people around them are better because they are close. 4. They are free-thinkers and make their own decisions.

54. I once taught a series of chinese cooking classes. The instructor was a drunk and couldn't continue, so I just took over and completed the courses.

55. No really, you just can't make this stuff up.

56. Which reminds me, "adapt and overcome."

57. I LOVE to cook. ( I don't like to clean up - but I love to cook.)

58. What I consider my signature dishes: 1. Lemon chicken 2. Grilled Salmon 3. Brocili/ Beef
4. Shrimp Fried Rice 5. Dutch Oven - Potatoes/chicken

59. I love my boys because: 1. They all possess characteristics of Vandi. 2. They are confident but not too cocky. 3. For the most part I do not have to wait for them when we are snowmobiling. 4. They are fearless in the face of any danger. - (Snakes?) 5. They take such good care of the women/girls around them. thanks guys

60. I enjoy being alone. When too many people are around I have a tendency to vanish. I did that at my wedding reception. About half way through I just left.

61. Speaking of wedding receptions - at ours an old feller walked up and said to me," ya best watch your step, I've seen that woman ya married shoot."

62. All it takes is one look at Vandi's eyes and I go all Gaa Gaa. She just bats her eyes and she can talk me into about anything. Like Allred Thanksgivings, Allred reunions, Allred Birthday parties - well you get the idea.

63. I spend time each week researching and planning how/where I will be so I can be warm when I retire. (And be able to fish at the same time.)

64. I can't believe that this one made it to 64 without a mention. I WOULD RATHER FISH THAN EAT!!!!!!

65. Did I happen to mention that I would just rather FISH period.

66. I lived alone my first semester of college. See #60

67. Greatest Movie of all time: Jeremiah Johnson

68. Greatest actor of all time: JOHN WAYNE

69. Polaris - is there any other kind of snowmobile?

70. I have been known to do some slightly foolish things on a snowmobile.

71. I have on occasion after a snowmobile ride, had those who tagged along, call me filthy names and swear that I should be committed. (It seemed like a good idea at the time)

72. I don't hug or snuggle very well.

73. My heart still leaps when I see Vandi dressed up for church.

74. I have the smartest, cutest, best behaved grandkids ever.

75. When my family is around I like to sit in the corner and just watch everyone, especially my grandkids.

76. I love to listen to Mikey laugh.

77. Vandi's hot rolls are to DIE for. The cinnamon rolls are close, but the hot rolls are the bomb.

78. I believe in the creed: "Go Big or Go Home."

79. Vandi has told me several times that she expects me to die in an avalanche. As I get older, I am so much wiser and more careful. (That loud thump was Dustin, Clay, Tony falling off their chairs laughing). But seriously, I have no intention of leaving anytime soon. My kids and grandkids are waaaaaaaay too much fun.

80. I was a paramedic with the Davis County Sheriff's Department.

81. I was the undersheriff with Lincoln County and later the Chief of Police in Afton Wyoming.

82. Greatest Song of all time: "Long train Runnin"

83. My I pod has 70's rock on it.

84. Favorite Line from a Movie: "You've come far pilgrim." "Feels like far."

85. I was a sniper on the DCSO SWAT team.

86. Favorite Food: Fried Chicken, Mashed Potatoes, Homemade Gravy.

87. I used to like dogs, but between the dog calls as a cop and Vandi's great choices of dog breeds, I don't care much for them anymore.

88. I loved being a hobby farmer. We once ran a 100 acre farm in Etna.

89. I enjoyed raising baby calves, pigs and chicks.

90. I still enjoy changing pipes at our place in Smoot.

91. I enjoy doing family history work.

92. I tie my own fishing flies.

93. I once had a photography business.

94. Chocolate Chip Cookies should be illegal.

95. Psuedo intellectual celebrities drive me crazy. With all their glitz, tummy tucks, botox lips, lift that, lipo that and the flavor of the month green cause. They still have the audacity to give social commentary and critique on what they consider real issues. Quoting a gentleman scholar that I know - "Come on - you get paid to play pretend." (Thanks Dustin)

96. I am proud of my kids because despite the lunatic they have for a father they are wonderful, kind, open minded, contributing people. (thanks to their mother)

97. I am finishing at 97 because someone said that it needed to be a 101 list and it just wouldn't be me if I did exactly what I was told.

3 comments:

Amy said...

Great list Mike! I want to try your brocoli beef and fried rice someday!!!

jodie said...

Great list dad. A couple of things: I want to know what #49 was, chicken gizzards ARE very good, I love the line in Jeremiah Johnson when he asks Del Gue if it was the indians that had buried him in the hole and he says "twernt Mormons," and I can't wait for the BYU/Utah game!

Anonymous said...

So I pretty much knew every one. So funny as usual. Jeremiah Johnson is a good movie! Thanks for doing that list, so fun to read!!